At the conclusion of bargaining in September 2013, United Academics and the University agreed that we would form a committee to discuss the best way to spend a limited pool of money to establish salary floors at the UO. After many months of meetings, we have finally come to a mutually satisfactory agreement that will continue our project of transforming the university and improving the quality of research and teaching at the UO. We anticipate these new salary floors will mean wage increases for approximately 300 of our lowest paid colleagues, with some raises as high as 30%.
This could not have been done without the faculty who volunteered to serve on the committee, meeting every week for 4 months. I wish to thank them and invite you to do the same – Alex Dracobly, Yvonne Braun, and our Executive Director, David Cecil. Likewise, an agreement could not have been reached without collaborative work with the Administration’s team, Barbara Altman, Doug Blandy and Brad Shelton. Of course, none of this would have happened without our union and the years of volunteer work by faculty activists who helped create it and negotiate our first contract.
We still have work to do. We begin contract negotiations next December and we need your input. Please come to our first General Membership Meeting on May 13, 5-8 pm in GER Lounge, and celebrate the many achievements in our first contract and help set the groundwork for another round of improvements at the UO. Also, swing by the union office this Friday the 18th (4-6) for a glass of wine, juice, or beer and some afternoon snacks to thank the AFT staff organizers and our office
The full agreement is below.
The University will establish Base Salary minimums (referred to here as salary floors or floor salaries) for non-tenure-track faculty represented by United Academics. These floors vary by unit and by classification. Salary floors apply to Base Salary only, for 1.0 FTE. Salary floors apply to all new NTTF hires as of FY2015.
A. Salary floors
1. We establish salary floors for career NTTF as follows (and as previously agreed upon):
a. PE/Rec: $24,000
b. Research assistants: $32,000
c. HEP: $26,000
d. Academic Extension: $27,000
e. All others: $36,000
2. Salary floors for adjunct NTTF will be 80% of corresponding career floors.
B. Implementation for current NTTF employees, effective Sept. 16, 2013
1. Move all existing career NTTF in the bargaining unit to the full floor if they are currently below it.
2. Move all existing adjunct NTTF in the bargaining unit to 90% of the corresponding career floors, if they are currently below it. “Existing adjuncts” are faculty who is or was on contract for any part of Fiscal Year 2014.
3. Move Senior I career NTTF in the bargaining unit to 8% above their respective floors, if they are currently below it.
4. Move all Senior II career NTTF in the bargaining unit to 17% above their respective floors, if they are currently below it.
5. Move all career research assistants in the bargaining unit who are not affected by B.1 above to 110% of the floor of $32,000 (=$35,200), if they are currently below it.
6. Move all career PE/Rec NTTF in the bargaining unit who are not affected by B.1 above to 110% of the floor of $24,000 (=$26,400), if they are currently below it.
7. Move all career NTTF who were not affected by B.1, B.3, B.4, B.5, or B.6 to 105% of the appropriate floor, if they are currently below it.