The United Academics Constitution and Bylaws establishes eight standing committees, chaired by members of the Executive Council. All full members of United Academics are encouraged to participate on the committees. If you are interested in participating, please email the chair of the committee for information on how to get involved.
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING COMMITTEE
DIVERSITY AND EQUITY COMMITTEE
Michael Hames-García was hired in Ethnic Studies at the UO in 2005, serving as Program Director from 2006-2008 and Department Head from 2008-2011. He publishes and teaches courses on many topics related to race, gender, sexuality, and identity, with a special foci on incarceration and on critical theory.
GRIEVANCE AND CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION COMMITTEE
Heather Quarles is the chair of the Grievance and Contract Administration Committee [GCAC]. If you have questions about your rights under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or University policy, Heather and the Committee are happy to help. You can click the circle to the right to email Heather.
Not all problems or situations fall under the CBA, of course, but our role is to help members determine whether they do have a grievance, to advise members accordingly, and, when appropriate, pursue action on behalf of the member.
If you want to know how to file a grievance, you can read about that process here.
The Grievance and Contract Administration Committee is charged, through the UA Constitution and Bylaws with many duties:
- Fields requests by UA members to investigation suspected violations of the CBA by the University of Oregon
- Connects members with stewards who can represent members and investigate suspected violations of the CBA
- Helps members secure due process in CBA-related investigations and a fair and impartial hearing by relevant University personnel
- Interprets the CBA with respect to cases that come before the Committee
- Recommends next steps in the grievance process based on a review of the case
- Proposes amendments to the CBA to better serve members with grievance and contract administration
FINANCE AND BUDGET COMMITTEE
Bill Harbaugh is the Chair of the Finance Committee. Bill is also the Treasurer of United Academics. Professor Harbaugh has taught Economics at UO since 1995. His research uses methods from experimental economics and neuroeconomics to study charitable giving and the economic behavior of children.
If you have any questions about the UA budget, feel free to click the button above and Bill will be happy to help.